Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Don't spam me bro!




Originally, I joined Twitter out of curiosity, I never even heard of micro-blogging before, let alone tried it. Sure I’ll admit it, It gets addictive if you’re not careful, hell- sometimes even if you are. On my first account I wasn’t on Twitter for a week before I discovered how much spam there was. Join this- join that, buy this, buy that.. Spam Spam, Spam. Here is the secret to whiter teeth! At last! The secret is revealed! Live and in Technicolor! ON TWITTER. Sometimes it isn’t about buying or selling though, these are the sneaky spammers too- the ones who spam you via DM, (Direct Message) and then there’s the ones who want to tell you how to get thousands of followers for free, or those who endlessly are promoting this or that, Follow me, follow them, follow him, follow her, follow us you loser! Now! Now! Now! Never mind conversation damnit! we don’t time to talk to you! WE have an agenda! Meet singles online- I joined this video chat and you should TOO! And if you don’t you suck! and you go to their page and its one big advertisement, for these people- it‘s all about the numbers, how many can I get? Gimme Gimme Gimme.. Well guess what numb nuts? I already get followers for free and I didn’t join Twitter buy anything, I don’t need a date and I don’t want to join your stupid video chat. No! No! No!


Here the part that really gets me though, I try to give them a shot, just to see if they will actually tweet anything that makes me think that they are actually interested in engaging in conversation with anyone else on Twitter. And of course it always turns out the same, they just keep on chugging with their spammer ways. So- what’s a Twittermite to do? You want to actually see normal conversation in your timeline, and you really do want to give people the benefit of the doubt but -you keep seeing spam in your timeline, and its usually the same fucking people every time. Well, lets talk about my favorite Twitter weapon for a second, let me just say how much I simply love, love, LOVE the block button. For me, Twitter is nothing personal, I really don’t know anybody on there in offline life, and while there are some people on Twitter that I really enjoy tweeting with, I really don’t know what their life is all about other than by what they choose to reveal on Twitter. So, it’s really easy to tell the normal people from the spammers if you pay attention. Look- it’s an easy equation to figure out- if you spam me, I block you and then I report you.. that’s the deal. Spammers are the reason that I set my page to private, so not just anybody can follow at will. This gives me a chance to go to their page and investigate a little, and even then its hit or miss, sometimes they look normal until you follow them, and then- wham bam Spam. C’mon man, don’t spam!


No comments:

Post a Comment